Friday, March 2, 2012

Diary Of A Snow Day

If my kids wrote a diary of a snow day, it might look something like this...


Night before snow storm:
6:00pm-Watched TV news with my parents.  Wow, these news people sure are funny.  They have reporters all over the state standing around in the rain.  But I guess when you're an adult, you come to appreciate this kind of hard-hitting journalism. 


8:30pm-Tried lobbying my parents to stay up later since we'd have no school.  No dice.  They shot us down for 2 reasons:  1)  There was only two inches so far and snow days are never a sure thing until they're official.    2)  They were getting ready to watch Modern Family starring Sofia Vergara.  I thought she just did commercials.


6:30am-I came downstairs and my Dad was working at the kitchen table (if you call what he does work.) He told me it was a snow day.  I pumped my fist and said "yes!!!"  I told him my friend Justin had just won a $10 bet to one of his teachers about the snow.  He seemed to wonder if the teacher would really pay Justin.

8:30am-Time to get out and enjoy the snow.  There's so much to do.  Shoveling, building a sled ramp, throwing snowballs, riding my bike into massive snowbanks, catching snowflakes on my tongue, building a snow fort, and riding my scooter into massive snowbanks.


8:35am-I'm bored. I think I'll see if my friend wants to join me. 

8:36am-(All with my friend) Time to get out and enjoy the snow.  There's so much to do.  Shoveling, building a sled ramp, throwing snowballs, riding my bike into massive snowbanks, catching snowflakes on my tongue, building a snow fort, and riding my scooter into massive snowbanks. 

12 Noon-Lunch with friends from the neighborhood.  Today's menu: 6 bowls of Macaroni and cheese and hot chocolate, plus whatever everyone else is having.  One of my friends comments about how great it is to sit, relax, and enjoy a hot fresh meal and conversation with friends. School lunches are so rushed.  This is more like it.  Wow, sometimes I wonder if we're kids or adults.  That seems kind of wise beyond our years.

1pm-Back to doing stuff outside. Mom helps my friends and I shovel the driveway so my Dad can relax when he gets home.  And by relax, I mean fall asleep at 7pm becasue he's up so early working, blogging, and whatever else he does.

2:30pm-Baking chocolate brownie/peanut butter cookies with Mom.  There's math involved, so at least I'm getting some education and I don't feel bad about missing school.


6pm-Dad's home.  He says "Wow, that's great.  You guys already have your pajammas on."  We tell Dad that we've had them on all day.  That's the unwritten law of a snow day.

7pm-Time to wind down for the night with some TV watching as a family.  Hey, there's that Sofia Vergara lady in a commercial again. 

Snow days rule.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAH! Thanks Ken! Very entertaining. Mine was.

    6:50am. Can I have some juice. Look Mom! It's snowing

    10:00am Yay, lets go play in the snow.

    10:10am We're done... can we have hot cocoa now. What's on tv?

    I hate snow.

    ReplyDelete